turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Older dependent

My mother fell ill and I have been supporting her and her home care needs and such. Can I claim her on my taxes this year? And if so how do I present that on my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Older dependent

Generally, you can claim your parent if they didn't have more than $4,050 in gross income (excluding nontaxable Social Security) and you provided more than half of their support. Your parent doesn't have to live with you. There are a few other specifics, but we'll ask you as we go along.

To add or remove a dependent, you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:
  1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for personal information and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to add or remove a dependent.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HelenaC

Older dependent

Generally, you can claim your parent if they didn't have more than $4,050 in gross income (excluding nontaxable Social Security) and you provided more than half of their support. Your parent doesn't have to live with you. There are a few other specifics, but we'll ask you as we go along.

To add or remove a dependent, you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:
  1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for personal information and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to add or remove a dependent.

Older dependent

Would I need to verify any income information for my mother in this case?
HelenaC

Older dependent

Yes. Note the IRS says $4,050 in gross income. Did she have stock trades, interest or dividend income, or 1099-R retirement income? These other types of income could cause her social security to be taxable. The income test excludes nontaxable SS but not taxable SS.

Older dependent

She has none of the sort. Only taxable SS if i recall.
HelenaC

Older dependent

Generally speaking, if her only income is Social Security, it is nontaxable Social Security, which does not count toward's the $4,050. In terms of the gross income test, she would qualify as your dependent.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies