Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

@Wible 

The IRS does address this in 2 FAQs ... You have until the Wed before your check is to be mailed to get DD info into the system ... hopefully the system will have your info by then... they are adding more info every day...      https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

A couple of tricks to try ... if you are married try your spouse's info instead and make sure you enter the address EXACTLY at it appears on your tax return. 

The account information used to make an electronic payment to the IRS cannot be used as the account information for the direct deposit of your payment. If we do not have bank account information for you and your payment has not been processed yet, Get My Payment will allow you to submit your bank account information once you have properly verified your identity so that you can get your EIP via direct deposit. Otherwise, we will mail your payment to address we have on file for you.

To use Get My Payment, you must first verify your identity by answering security questions. If the information you enter does not match our records multiple times, you will be locked out of Get My Payment for 24 hours for security reasons. If you are unable to verify your identity, you will not be able to use Get My Payment. No action is needed to contact the IRS.

If you verified your identity and received “Payment Status Not Available,” this means we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. This may occur for a variety of reasons, for example, if you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed.

@WowReally 

Not sure what box you think was checked however the IRS has no option to put DD info on a tax return that had no refund.   Since you had a balance due they will NOT use that bank info for the stimulus payment ... see my other answer for the IRS FAQ on your situation ... all you can do is try the ever updating GET MY PAYMENT tool until you can get in to change the DD info. 

@tmclong .

Read the IRS info directly here ... no one,  not even TT has more up to date info than they put out :

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

@WowReally 

I also had 2019 and 2018 federal taxes owed and on the Federal Information Worksheet the box for direct deposit No was checked and the box for direct debit Yes was checked.

Looked at another tax return where I had a federal tax refund and on the Federal Information Worksheet the box for direct deposit Yes was checked and the box for direct debit No was checked.

That just appears to be just an internal software check using an "If this then do that" command.  Doubtful if it has anything to do with what is sent to the IRS since all the IRS cares about is the bank routing and account numbers for a direct debit for taxes owed or a direct deposit for a tax refund.

On the IRS get my payment website, since I had taxes owed for both 2018 and 2019 I entered my personal information as requested and then entered the Direct Deposit information.  Did this on 04/15/2020 when the IRS opened their portal.  They have my bank information for deposit but still have not received a date yet, 

@Critter 

Thanks so much for the insight.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but further reading suggests that since IRS sees that I fall under that “mixed” criteria (SSN and spouse on ITIN); my family, including our kids; does not qualify for the stimulus check (partial or full) at all.

However, since my spouse has a valid SSN, since 2018, we COULD still get that full amount when we file for 2020 tax returns, assuming we correct/update her records(?)

@DoninGA 

I'm beginning to think the article (from the Washington Post) that said that paper checks were being sent out in $10,000 increments (based upon income level) was correct, given so many people who entered their info into the "Get My Payment" portalpaper.png a week ago and were told they'd get a direct deposit ended up getting checks anyway. Thus, anyone under $20,000 would receive a check next week, and so on in $10,000 increments. That puts me quite a way out, in terms of getting a check, but I'm okay with that as long as I know that it will eventually be mailed. 

My status still stuck on will deposit in below account when date is set...been that since last weds am

@Patrick73 Well, I guess all things are possible.  If the schedule is Only for paper checks that really takes it out to weeks and months before someone will get a check. 

I can only go by what I have seen on the IRS portal and that my granddaughter, whose AGI is greater than $10K, was notified that her check is being mailed on 04/24.

The ONLY exception is for a Military spouse... you did not mention you were in the military.  Either way you MUST use ONLY the SS number from now on and you must register it as directed.  

A14. No, when spouses file jointly, both spouses must have valid SSNs to receive a Payment with one exception. If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN.

If spouses file separately, the spouse who has an SSN may qualify for a Payment; the other spouse without a valid SSN will not qualify.

@DoninGA 

I certainly wouldn't consider the Washington Post a great reference source; I just meant that it would, however, make sense as to why many of us were seemingly "skipped over" by individuals who put their information into the portal after most of us, yet received a direct deposit and/or check this week. 

Turn about fair play.....wish they all lost there jobs and scrounging to eat....cowards won't even face us who paid them and there salaries enough to simply answer us.....an apology would be super.....either way apologies won't feed me ......big time screw up on tt n irs.....

Yep, me too. Frustrating.

Kharsin

I'm just checking to see if anyone knows what's going on. I've seen a few threads like this, stating that we updated the IRS with our account info in the 15th (me sometime that morning) and how when you check it says you're eligible, but that they don't have a date for you. I know a friend who's deceased mother received a check in the mail... 

The fact that they can deduct money from your account but not have your account on file to deposit money is ridiculous. It's no big deal of paying what's owed, but to get messed over because you use Turbo Tax and the government is government is a bit much. We owed very little to federal, but it's frustrating that they'll deduct money in crisis yet respond with vagueness.

Totally mind blowing 

Just for reference ... the regular portal,  that has been around for years, where you can log in to see your account information and get transcripts only works part of the time .... so now everyone is surprised that a cobbled together tool only 10 days old  is not working at 100% efficiency ???? 

Sorry that many of you are disappointed by this situation however it is no one's fault ... the IRS was given an impossible task that they are trying to do as fast as humanly possible  given the virus situation we all find ourselves in right now.  They are understaffed, using systems that are not up to the task  and this happened  during an active tax season no less ... they deserve our gratitude for  all they have accomplished in such a short time under the current conditions.  The phone and office services had to be curtailed so all any of us can do is be patient and let things work themselves out ... it will take time and there is nothing anyone can do but wait patiently.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies