Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY 1099-G EWF benefits e-file

I'm working on a NY Tax return that has a 1099-G Grant Payment, when the Federal and State tax form is completed and the analysis is run I get the following error/exception: "Not Eligible for Electronic Filing - Returns with a 1099G that does not have unemployment on line 1. These rules are set by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance."

However, when I go to the NY Department of Taxation and Finance I read the following information regarding 1099G EWF payments: 

"You must report EWF benefits when you file your federal and state income tax returns.

If you are e-filing your return, your software should prompt you to enter all the information from your Form 1099-G, including Box 6. If it does not, contact your software company for assistance."

So, what gives, why is TurboTax not allowing the e-filing when NY DT&F allows for it to take place?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Additional info, TurboTax does allow for the 1099-G Taxable Grant info to be entered properly under "Other Common Income - Other 1099-G Income".

I have opened case # [phone number removed] which created Investigation # 18967. Let's see how long it takes to get a fix/response.

That was not a phone # but a Case #, I guess they don't allow those to be displayed.

I called and spoke to the NY Finance and Taxation department and confirmed that what TT Home and Business is displaying is incorrect, NY does not have any rules requiring 1099G with Grant Payments to be filed by mail, in fact, other software companies are e-filing returns with 1099G EWF benefits that do not include unemployment compensation on line 1.

"Not Eligible for Electronic Filing - Returns with a 1099G that does not have unemployment on line 1. These rules are set by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance."

I am unaware of any rules prohibiting e-filing of a NY tax return because there is no amount in box 1 of the 1099-G. First check to make sure every other entry is accurate on that form. If so, I would advise entering $1 in box 1. Not the most conventional solution, but it will not cause any red flags and will allow you to electronically file.

scrat
Returning Member

Hello.

I have same issue. Please somebody help, how to file it? Where to change? Or what other online tax system I can use to file it? Please help, time is coming. I can't sleep nights because I don't understand how to solve this issue.

scrat
Returning Member

I have long story with EWF Taxable Grant. Nothing helps I still receiving error on completecheck(tm) - it passing Federal check, but on state check give me error "Not eligible for electronic filling" "Returns with a 1099G does not have unemployment on line 1".  I have tried different ways but still getting this error. Problem is that there is no "Box 1" when doing taxable grant through "Other 1099-G income." and there is no "Box 6" if doing this through unemployment. 

Where I can enter 1$ in Box one for passing this completecheck(tm) and be able to file State taxes? Please help.

scrat
Returning Member

I have question.

Is this completecheck(tm) prohibit state form to be filed or no? Or it is just suggestion and we can ignore it?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

We need more information to be able to answer your question.  It appears that you are saying that there is a "Complete Check".  If so, then you are clear to file however for some reason the state does not file it will give you a complete error message with directions on how to correct it.

Please provide additional information about your question in this forum if necessary.

@scrat

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There have been 3 updates since I originally placed a request 2 months ago to get this software bug corrected and this probem was never addressed, fixed, or responded to. 

As per the NY Taxation and Finance Tax Support line recommendation, I went ahead and used TaxSlayer and had no problem filing electronically. I'm asking for a refund from TurboTax of my Home and Business software package cost!!! TurboTax just lost a 12-year customer!!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies