turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

afieldsne

Now I'm wondering if I should have claimed my daughter as an exemption

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChrisJ

If you need to make a change, but your return has already been filed and accepted, see here:

If you answer "yes" to all  the following questions, you can claim a qualifying child as a dependent:
  1. Are they a U.S. citizen, U.S resident, U.S national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico?
  2. You can't claim someone who is married and files a joint return with their spouse, takes a personal exemption for themselves or claims another dependent on their own tax forms. Are you the only person claiming this dependent?
  3. Are they your son, daughter, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them?
  4. Are they under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under 24? (No age limit for disabled children)
  5. Did you provide more than half of their financial support?
  6. Did they live with you for more than half the year?

Exceptions may apply. If you don't see your situation addressed or want to learn more about a question, a comprehensive guide to claiming a dependent can be found here. You can also refer to IRS Publication 501.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChrisJ

If you need to make a change, but your return has already been filed and accepted, see here:

If you answer "yes" to all  the following questions, you can claim a qualifying child as a dependent:
  1. Are they a U.S. citizen, U.S resident, U.S national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico?
  2. You can't claim someone who is married and files a joint return with their spouse, takes a personal exemption for themselves or claims another dependent on their own tax forms. Are you the only person claiming this dependent?
  3. Are they your son, daughter, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them?
  4. Are they under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under 24? (No age limit for disabled children)
  5. Did you provide more than half of their financial support?
  6. Did they live with you for more than half the year?

Exceptions may apply. If you don't see your situation addressed or want to learn more about a question, a comprehensive guide to claiming a dependent can be found here. You can also refer to IRS Publication 501.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies