Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

[NOT YET SOLVED] Foreign Housing Exclusion Question (Both employer-furnished housing AND THEN changed to housing stipend cash paid)

Thanks @pk , I agree. They made it more confusing. 

All of the income is eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and then the last confusing screenshot page  (Foreign Housing Exclusion) pops up to ask for the number.

And she was my girlfriend in 2022 and for 2023, since she is a South Korean citizen who has never even been to the US, I will have to file in 2023 as "Married filing separately" and I leave the SSN/ITIN blank for spouse as she is a Non-Resident Alien that has ZERO US tax responsibility. I heard that I have to print it out and write in "Non-Resident Alien" in the SSN space for my spouse and mail it in (no e-Filing for spouses that are non-resident aliens w/o an ITIN and senselessly forcing her to pay taxes to a country she's never even set foot into). 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

[NOT YET SOLVED] Foreign Housing Exclusion Question (Both employer-furnished housing AND THEN changed to housing stipend cash paid)

@shanesnh , yes that is true ( filing  as MFS, entering spouse's name address etc., NRA in place of SSN and file by mail).

Thank you for allowing  us to help you in your tax filing

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies