turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report interest income in nonresident state?

I already reported all bank interests as income in federal and resident state returns.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not usually. Most (if not all states) consider interest and other investment/ unearned income to be allocable to your resident state. However, there could be an exception if the interest is related to a business which operates in your nonresident state.

If you are asked to allocate income to the nonresident state, do not allocate the interest unless there is something special about the interest. If there is, you will need to inform us of the state and situation in further detail so we can pass along targeted guidance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not usually. Most (if not all states) consider interest and other investment/ unearned income to be allocable to your resident state. However, there could be an exception if the interest is related to a business which operates in your nonresident state.

If you are asked to allocate income to the nonresident state, do not allocate the interest unless there is something special about the interest. If there is, you will need to inform us of the state and situation in further detail so we can pass along targeted guidance.

daniel-j-morton
Returning Member

Thanks, can you pls clarify what you mean by "However, there could be an exception if the interest is related to a business which operates in your nonresident state." Presumably all investment earned is related to an entity conducting business. I have received a notice from the California Francise Tax Board saying I have California sourced income (I am not California resident). This means then that as an investor I could pay taxes in the state making the dividend/interest payment, then in my resident state then at the federal level? pls advise. thanks.

hi
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies