lraiello

Not sure what to do

Here’s the background:  I retired from a Georgia based company in June of 2017 and started drawing a pension with instructions for Federal and State tax withholding.   I moved to South Carolina in August 2017 and have not worked since.  The company I worked for continued  to withhold Georgia state tax through February 2018   - that was when I noticed that should no longer be occurring and told them to stop.   (I have since corrected the issue to address the necessary SC tax withholding.) 

The bottom line is I gave about $150 to Georgia for state taxes in 2018 (jJanuary and February) even though I did not live or work in that state during 2018.

I’ve been told by my previous employer that although it may have been their error, there was little they could do and that  I should fill out the GA State  forms as a non-resident and try to get the money refunded.  

That effort  is likely to cost me some part of  the money I am owed through an  additional TurboTax state download and then a state  filing fee .  

My question is:  Can I just ignore it? i.e. let them keep the money?  I’m not sure it’s worth spending some large part of $150 just to get back the $150.  

Thanks for any info you can share. 
NCperson

Not sure what to do

As long as you have no GA ncome to report and you don’t want the money back, no one can force you to file
PaulaM

Not sure what to do

You could download the forms from the Georgia Department of revenue site if you do not want to incur additional costs. Then complete manually.  See this link.