Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not able to e-file extension through TT

I am trying to e-file an extension using my TT account, and every time I am going there to start e-filing an extension, it says as below - Am I doing something wrong? Or this is not yet available?

If this e-file TT easy extension thing is not available based on the error I am getting then by what date it will be available to use?

Second question:

When e-filing an extension using TT, will TT allow me to pay taxes owed during extension e-filing process? If yes, then what "ALL" payment methods will TT accept during the payment of taxes owed during an e-filing of extension process, please let me know asap, thanks as I want to use ONLY TT for paying owed taxes using credit card instead of going to IRS website and paying from there. Thanks.

It looks this filing is not available

We are currently not accepting filings of this type.
When you select Sign out, we'll sign you out of your TurboTax account.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

The form to request an extension for 2023 is not yet available.  Check back in mid to late March.  An extension does not give you extra time to pay.  Estimated tax due has to be paid by April 15, 2024.  An extension gives you extra time to prepare and file your Form 1040.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for your very prompt reply and helping me on educating on still paying the taxes if owed by April 15 2024 to avoid any penalty, and that is where my second question is -

Second question:

When e-filing an extension using TT, will TT allow me to pay taxes owed during extension e-filing process? If yes, then what "ALL" payment methods will TT accept during the payment of taxes owed during an e-filing of extension process, please let me know asap, thanks as I want to use ONLY TT for paying owed taxes using credit card instead of going to IRS website and paying from there. Thanks.

You can pay your estimated tax by a  variety of methods including by direct debit, using a credit card on the IRS site or by mailing a check or money order.  Not sure what you have against using the IRS site.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

There is nothing against using IRS website, it is about an integrated and seamless process as we are using TT for this extension e-file process when it becomes available so using it at the same time and pay through TT is more convenient and seamless.

Also, mind sharing the details, if we can e-file extension using TT and then pay thorough IRS website, does TT allows that, I mean it must give us an option to do so? And, instead of going through two steps was wondering if TT accepts Credit Card payment for the taxes owed when using TT easy e-file extension process?

Please advise. 

Please advise based on your previous years of experience if TT accepts credit card payment method when paying for taxes owed during e-file of an extension?

Please advise based on your previous years of experience if TT accepts credit card payment method when paying for taxes owed during e-file of an extension OR

TT only e-files an extension and once it gets approved and accepted by IRS then we have to go to IRS website for making any payments?

I am unaware of this TT extension filing process, would be helpful to know all the above details. Thanks.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-extensions/filing-an-income-tax-extension/L5GIzgJaS#GoTo-Ea...

Thanks once again for your response and sharing the link, as I am going through the link it has the below steps -

And, as you can see in the BOLD bullet point below, it says make a payment using checking or savings account, so, the question still remains, will TT accept Credit card payment or we have only two options as below checking or savings account?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Option 1: E-file your federal tax extension in minutes with TurboTax Easy Extension

Using TurboTax Easy Extension, you can:

• E-file your federal extension
    • Make a payment of any tax due directly from your checking or savings account
    • Print a PDF copy of your e-filed extension
    • Receive notifications when your extension has been accepted by the IRS
    • Get easy instructions on how to file a state extension by mail
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you continue to read further down in the article you will find this:

Need to use a credit card to pay taxes owed?

If you've e-filed or mailed Form 4868 and need to pay by credit card, you can use one of several IRS approved Electronic Payment Methods. You can pay with your debit or credit card online or by phone. File your complete return by October 15, 2024.

Cautions

• If the IRS thinks your estimate of the amount of tax you owe is unreasonable, it may disallow your extension and assess a late-filing penalty.
  • If you underestimate the amount of tax you owe, you'll likely have to pay interest and perhaps penalty on whatever amount you fail to pay by the original filing deadline.
  • If you pay less than 90% of the tax you owe, you'll end up owing a penalty of 0.5% of the underpayment every month until you pay the remaining balance. For example, if you pay $600 by the original filing deadline, but discover when you complete your return that you really owe $1,000, you will usually owe 0.5% per month on the $400 that is overdue, or about $2 a month, until you pay the full amount owed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies