turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a text from turbotax with a code that i did not request. Has my account been hacked?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I received a text from turbotax with a code that i did not request. Has my account been hacked?

No, your account has not been hacked. What probably happened is that someone with a user ID similar to yours made a mistake typing their user ID, and entered yours instead. The requirement for the security code prevents them from signing in to your account, since you got the code and they didn't. The code is sent before they can actually sign in. You can just ignore the code.

The other possibility is that someone intentionally tried to sign in to your account. But the security code requirement still stopped them from actually signing in.

I didnt ask for a code via text 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received unrequested codes from turbotax, quickbooks and mint every day for months. It is unrelenting. Turbo tax says it is not a problem, someone just entering wrong numbers. Not trusting it this year.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I would just ignore the texts. Do not share the code with anyone. Hackers are really ramping up. I get multiple texts from Apple like this. Assume the hackers have your user name and password, but because you have 2 factor authentication, they can't get into your account. If you want to change your password you could do that, but make sure you keep 2 factor authentication on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies