turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I indicate when asked the purchase price of hundreds of items donated when I'm not privy to that information?

I am clearing out a family member's estate and have donated hundreds of items to Goodwill throughout the year.. (Clothing, small appliances, Paintings,Tables, Lamps, Books ... just to name a few)  I received receipts from the donation attendant each time that simply noted the Donation Quantity as being a SUV load full.  Then boxes were checked on the receipt indicating clothing, furniture housewares or whatever I was donating.  I personally kept a detailed list of what I was dropping off and used Goodwill's valuation guide to determine the value of things.  I sat down to do my taxes and got to the charitable donations section and I began by listing the first date I donated and the items I gave.  After I listed this in TurboTax I then am asked for a purchase price.  I have no idea what was paid for the items, not to mention I have a list that is 4 pages long of the items I donated.  Is it necessary to list each item, it's purchase price (which I would be guessing on).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

What should I indicate when asked the purchase price of hundreds of items donated when I'm not privy to that information?

No, you do not need to report individual purchase prices for the goods you donated. Your best estimate will suffice. Just be sure that the total purchase price is higher than the donated value. Also, use the phrase "various" for dates when possible. And you can combine like items to make the entries easier (clothing, furniture, kitchenware, etc.).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

No, you do not need to report individual purchase prices for the goods you donated. Your best estimate will suffice. Just be sure that the total purchase price is higher than the donated value. Also, use the phrase "various" for dates when possible. And you can combine like items to make the entries easier (clothing, furniture, kitchenware, etc.).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies