turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trbotax25

I have a 1099-Misc for money received as a GameDay Travel Tournament Baseball Umpire at a local park. Is it considered a Business? Do I need to get an EIN? Thank you.

It just seems for this type of income, that I would not have to setup a Business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I have a 1099-Misc for money received as a GameDay Travel Tournament Baseball Umpire at a local park. Is it considered a Business? Do I need to get an EIN? Thank you.

No, you do not need an EIN, but it may be a 'business' if it is considered self-employment income.  If this was a once in a lifetime event and you will never do this kind of work again, then it may be 'Other Income'.   This kind of income is usually in Box 3 whereas self-employment is usually in box 7. 

Generally, if you did any ''work'' for the income, the IRS considers it to be self-employment, which goes on Schedule C.  That is why you are getting the business set-up questions.  You probably should report this on Schedule C, but no, you do not need an EIN.  Just use your name and home address for the 'business'.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not need an EIN, but it may be a 'business' if it is considered self-employment income.  If this was a once in a lifetime event and you will never do this kind of work again, then it may be 'Other Income'.   This kind of income is usually in Box 3 whereas self-employment is usually in box 7. 

Generally, if you did any ''work'' for the income, the IRS considers it to be self-employment, which goes on Schedule C.  That is why you are getting the business set-up questions.  You probably should report this on Schedule C, but no, you do not need an EIN.  Just use your name and home address for the 'business'.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies