turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No W-2 or 1099-MISC

I am a postdoc at a university that gets paid through a training grant. Part way through the year, the university stopped reporting our income to the IRS and stopped taking taxes out. Therefore, I received a W-2 for part of my salary and a courtesy letter from the university detailing the rest of my salary (but no 1099-MISC or other form). I have TurboTax Deluxe and am not sure where I should enter this second salary that is not on my W-2 but was still paid to me from the university. I know that it needs to be entered on the 1040 with the letters SCH but I am not sure how to do this in the software. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

No W-2 or 1099-MISC

If you type in "scholarship income" in the help box while in your TurboTax program, you will see an option "jump to scholarship income" that you can click on to go the that section.

Just work through the education section and you will come to an entry screen where you can enter your income as scholarship income. Make sure you don't indicate that the income was used for room and board and it will appear on your return in box 1 with the initials "SCH".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

No W-2 or 1099-MISC

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. I did as advised but many of the questions were specific for students and this gets tricky because I am not a student. I have earned my PhD and am an employee at the university. Does this matter? 

Thanks!

RobertG
Expert Alumni

No W-2 or 1099-MISC

It may not matter for tax purposes, as long as it qualifies as a fellowship.

According to the IRS, a scholarship is generally an amount paid or allowed to a student at an educational institution for the purpose of study. A fellowship grant is generally an amount paid or allowed to an individual for the purpose of study or research.

"If filing Form 1040 include the taxable portion in the total amount reported on the "Wages, salaries, tips" line of your tax return. If the taxable amount wasn't reported on Form W-2, enter "SCH" along with the taxable amount in the space to the left of the "Wages, salaries, tips" line."

See the IRS website Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, and Other Grants for further information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies