turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember if I made estimated tax payments last year. How do I check if I paid estimated taxes? Does IRS send a receipt?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I don't remember if I made estimated tax payments last year. How do I check if I paid estimated taxes? Does IRS send a receipt?

Hello ! 

You would need to contact IRS. 

The number for individuals is 1-800-829-1040. For business returns, the number is 1-800-829-4933. Schedule C sole proprietors and 1099 contractors should call the individual taxpayer number. Agents can look up your payment history by Social Security number and even mail you a statement of all transactions for the relevant tax year.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Hello ! 

You would need to contact IRS. 

The number for individuals is 1-800-829-1040. For business returns, the number is 1-800-829-4933. Schedule C sole proprietors and 1099 contractors should call the individual taxpayer number. Agents can look up your payment history by Social Security number and even mail you a statement of all transactions for the relevant tax year.

No the IRS doesn't send receipts. Probably the fasted way of determining whether you paid estimated taxes is to look in you checkbook or bank transaction records, focusing on those months:  January, June, September, January when you would have made those payments.

You can also call the IRS (long hold times, unfortunately) to check on payment history.

I should have added April when you'd make your first estimated payments.

Follow the instruction to create userID  .  
https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

* Login to the account

( two step process - you wil get text with Code to be able to login) 

* Under Account status select "View Recent Payment" 
you  will have all the previous payments including Estimated Tax paid .

This will avoid you having to call the IRS to get the information. 

I did log in to my IRS account but they do not have the estimated payments I made in 2019. I do not remember if I sent 3 or 4 checks. Since I closed my bank account I do not know how much I have sent. 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Here is information on how you can reach the IRS by phone for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies