Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will updating TurboTax after putting my information in delete my data?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kadian

No, the data you have already entered will not be lost after an update. To be certain that the information will not be lost, be sure to click on the File tab located in the upper left hand corner of the program and click on "save" or "save as". 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Kadian

No, the data you have already entered will not be lost after an update. To be certain that the information will not be lost, be sure to click on the File tab located in the upper left hand corner of the program and click on "save" or "save as". 

Thank you!

Well... unless you go through what I just did.  During a TurboTax update on Saturday (3 days before due date), my tax file disappeared.  After 4 hours of working with tech support to find it, I found other forum entries where people had found their tax file in their recycle bin or in random program files after a June 2019 update.  We are guessing that mine was sent to my recycle bin, and since I didn't even know it was missing, I was an idiot and cleared my recycle bin while cleaning up my desktop.  I had to completely redo my taxes over the last couple of days.  UGH!  I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!

wow... thanks for this heads up.. that is where I've found mine! Forever grateful 🙂

Yes, it will.  TurboTax Home & Business 2021 updated on 2/11/2023 just deleted my data on my 2021 file dated 2/03/2022.  Unfortunately I did not have a backup and will now have to redo my 2021 return.  And I made an error in overwriting my old file (should have Saved As, not Save).   ALWAYS HAVE A READ ONLY BACKUP someplace else to copy from. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies