Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djfarmer

My 19 year old daughter filed a tax return for 2016. This was her first. Do we as her parents still claim her as a dependent? She works part-time is fulltime college stud

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My 19 year old daughter filed a tax return for 2016. This was her first. Do we as her parents still claim her as a dependent? She works part-time is fulltime college stud

Yes if she is a full time student you can claim her.  Did she put down that she can be claimed as a dependent on your return?  If she claimed herself she will have to amend her return and you will have to mail your return this year.  Is your return rejecting?

djfarmer

Yes it is rejecting. Apparently she checked the wrong box on her return. Would we be able to file electronically later if we wait for her return to process and update. I think this may be faster than sending our return in by mail and waiting.

No.  You HAVE to mail it now.  Even after her amended return is processed (which might take 16 weeks) it will not clear her ssn.  Once her ssn has been filed it is in the IRS database.
djfarmer

So we will have to file by mail from now on?

No.  Just for this year.
djfarmer

Understood. Thank you for your time. Greatly appreciated
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies