Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ non-resident form

In 2023 I lived in New York City as a full time resident for the entire year. I switched jobs in February.  The first job was in New York City.  The second job was located in NJ.  When turbo tax filled out my NJ non resident form, wages and salaries listed in Column A and B were the SAME AMOUNT.  Should Column A  of the NJ non resident form for wages &salaries have shown the combination of my wages from my NYC job PLUS the wages from the NJ job?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

NJ non-resident form

You are correct column A should be the total of all wages NY and NJ.  Column B however should only be NJ wages per your allocation in the NJ state interview.  

The NJ form W2 box 15-17 should show NJ income and taxes withheld.  When you enter that information in the federal interview it will transfer to your NJ interview.  

In the NJ interview in the "Income" section you will arrive at a page asking if you earned all of your wages in New Jersey.  You should click "No" and the amount allocated to NJ should be pre-populated from your W2 entries.  

That amount should be correct since all (and only) of the NJ employer wages are NJ source, however, you can adjust that amount, if, for example, you worked in and outside of NJ for the same employer.  You would enter your calculated amount in the box.  You also will see the choice to split the wages by days worked in NJ if that is applicable.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

NJ non-resident form

You are correct column A should be the total of all wages NY and NJ.  Column B however should only be NJ wages per your allocation in the NJ state interview.  

The NJ form W2 box 15-17 should show NJ income and taxes withheld.  When you enter that information in the federal interview it will transfer to your NJ interview.  

In the NJ interview in the "Income" section you will arrive at a page asking if you earned all of your wages in New Jersey.  You should click "No" and the amount allocated to NJ should be pre-populated from your W2 entries.  

That amount should be correct since all (and only) of the NJ employer wages are NJ source, however, you can adjust that amount, if, for example, you worked in and outside of NJ for the same employer.  You would enter your calculated amount in the box.  You also will see the choice to split the wages by days worked in NJ if that is applicable.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies