Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

triman123

Newly married. Last year we filed separate. This year we filed together. They rejected ours because they said her last is not correct. Does she file with my last name?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Newly married. Last year we filed separate. This year we filed together. They rejected ours because they said her last is not correct. Does she file with my last name?

She needs to use whichever name she currently has listed with the Social Security Administration. If when you got married she changed her name, she needs to file with that name.  If her name was not changed and she is using the same last name as she had prior to getting married then she will need to contact Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

She needs to use whichever name she currently has listed with the Social Security Administration. If when you got married she changed her name, she needs to file with that name.  If her name was not changed and she is using the same last name as she had prior to getting married then she will need to contact Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies