Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zooeyg75

Needs Update Loop

When I get to the last step, TT won't let me e-file because it says there is an update but when I update it says that everything is already up to date. I called and was told I am not alone in this problem and that it is being fixed. Is there any news? It's quite frustrating!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

48 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Needs Update Loop

You can use the link below to sign up for notifications and also if you would like to try the workaround steps, they are listed below too and have worked for some users.  When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Needs Update Loop

I can't install my free state tax download.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

Needs Update Loop

@TravisCycleInc which version of TurboTax are you using? Online, Desktop or downloaded? 

jtellez818
Returning Member

Needs Update Loop

I am stuck in this loop trying to file my Illinois state taxes. Is there a workaround for IL yet?

20taxes20

Needs Update Loop

I was able to get past this issue using a manual update process - found here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

Download the file, run the updater and try to e-file your taxes again.  It has worked for a number of folks with this issue; it certainly worked for me.

The TurboTax program even seems to run a little smoother after this manual update, so I have to wonder what was left out of the last set of updates they pushed out...

Needs Update Loop

I am using the CD version of Deluxe on Win7. I am also stuck in the update loop when trying to file Federal Return only. I have downloaded the Ohio forms but am filing those on Ohio's site since it is free.  I have filed taxes this way for years and never had this issue before. I have tried reinstalling software but it wont allow me to open the return without downloading the Ohio Forms. I have also tried removing the State forms using the state cleanup tool but since TT has to be closed to use the removal tool, TT wont allow me to open the return without getting Ohio forms again. Open for suggestions and hoping a patch comes through quickly.

Thanks

Needs Update Loop

Replying to my own message here. I found this updater and it worked. I was able to transmit  my federal returns. Hope this helps others, good luck...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

Needs Update Loop

Here's the FIX via the TurboTax support person: I have the CD Deluxe version, so clearing cookies is not applicable. He first had me check my windows 10 for updates - which I had some pending, so I completed those. Then he had me check my McAfee antivirus for updates - which I also had one pending, so I completed that. He then sent a link to my email address for a MANUAL update of TurboTax. This takes a few minutes to install and prompts you through it. Don't run the TurboTax program till it is complete. Once it was done I started TurboTax and answered YES to install updates. I went to the final Transmit prompt and BOOM!, it worked perfectly! All done! I'm not sure which of the solutions actually did the trick or if all these steps were needed. Try your Windows and antivirus updates first and if that doesn't work call for the MANUAL update link to be emailed to you. Here's their number: [phone number removed]. Give them your case # if you have one for faster response. If they're backed up they are nice enough to call you back with the callback number you leave. Good luck!  Oh, by the way I tried uninstalling and re-installing the CD before all this but that didn't help. If you try a reinstall, back up your data to a different directory if you know how. I had to copy the 'cai' form (california) back over from the backup cuz it was expecting me to pay $39.99 for it. Also, if you reinstall the CD without erasing it first there is an option to 'repair' a previous install. I never tried that, but it could work. Don't worry, you can reinstall or uninstall the program without losing your data. It is stored in a different area (under Users). Also, another support person told me that this was an error message that occurred when the TurboTax servers were 'overloaded'. He had me turn off the Firewall to fix the problem, but that didn't do anything at all. I think he didn't know what he was talking about. Hmm. Other suggestions about closing the program or Rebooting didn't work either. Anyway, good luck. Hope this helps!

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Needs Update Loop

This article can also help with update issues.

State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta...

kdreyer17

Needs Update Loop

I am having the same problem.  It is caught in some loop.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Needs Update Loop

Are you using TurboTax for Windows CD/Download?

This TurboTax Help addresses the issue.

Needs Update Loop

I've tried all the steps on this blog, was forwarded the update by TT customer service.  Removed TT and then reinstalled.  Nothing is working.  Same error reappears when trying to e-file.  Quite frustrating especially after paying the fee to e-file state return and also paid for the deluxe version.  TT please fix ASAP!  This is taking more of my time then actually it did to complete my taxes....

esloquent

Needs Update Loop

I use a mac.  The manual update seems to be for windows.  Is there a manual update for mac?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Needs Update Loop

@esloquent  There is no manual updates for a Mac, you would simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them. please see the TurboTax FAQ's for assistance for updates for MAC:

How to update Mac OS X

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac updating issues

What is a manual update?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies