Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to install turbotax on alternate drive

I need to download Turbotax to my D:\ drive as I do not have space for all this year's files on my C:\ drive even after getting rid of unnecessary files. Other years you could divert the download but this year you cannot. Any suggestions on how to download and run Turbotax 2022 on D:\ drive?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see these help articles for assistance with installing the CD/Download. 

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software
Troubleshoot installation issues

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This did not answer the question at all. I meet the minimum requirements - I just have the space on a D:\ drive vs. C:\ drive. The question was how to install on alternate drive.

In the past, Turbotax only worked if it was installed on the same drive as the main operating system.  I don't know if that has been changed, but you might need to move something else to make room on the C: drive, or switch to using Turbotax online.  

Every year until this year I could easily divert to another drive.  This year works differently for some reason. Unless I remove or move system files, I do not have the space on C:\.  

If your intent is to keep that computer, it may be time for a new larger hard drive.

Many older computers won't adapt to Windows 11, in which case your computer is soon to be obsolete.

@bbo_ttx 

you can get a  second cheap used laptop on ebay for less than the cost of the TurboTax software.

It is a fairly new computer and it has a huge hard drive as I do graphics processing - just not C:\. But the issue is less my computer than the new inability to set the directory for the TurboTax files.

if your C drive is large there must be some of your own documents/files  that can be moved to D:

If your D: drive is small you won't be able to install there either.

Did you uninstall TurboTax 2021 or earlier?

@bbo_ttx wrote:

It is a fairly new computer and it has a huge hard drive as I do graphics processing - just not C:\. But the issue is less my computer than the new inability to set the directory for the TurboTax files.

It has always been the official word that TTax can only be installed on the active system drive.  If you were able to get around that in the past, that's a bonus for you.  I can't offer any suggestions for you this year.  You can contact customer support by phone if you like and try to talk to a tech support expert, but I don't think you will find the help you want.  It's just how they designed it.  (I don't work for them and I don't offer explanations, that's just how it's designed to work.)

I'm sorry if that doesn't help you find another workaround. 

As I said, my D drive is huge. My C drive is not as it is intended for system files in my configuration. Again the question is how to redirect the installation from C to D.

Yes, I did and it was on D:\ but there would have been plenty of room on D:\ without uninstalling. 

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

"My C drive is not as it is intended for system files"

Eventually your system will fail because Windows disk requirements keep growing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies