Taxhelp1081

Need help with 1099b box 1a

I have a 1099b form that shows the cash proceeds from the merger my former company under went. My stocks were transfered to the new company (1:1) and I was also given some money per share. I did not sell any shares.

My 1099b shows the proceeds from the cash part of the merger deal and box 1a shows 0.00 shares. 

Where do I enter this information? When I input this 1099b into TurboTax, I can't leave the shares sold as zero and it won't let me lave the cost basis blank. 

Not sure what to do.

ThomasM125

Need help with 1099b box 1a

The shares sold is not important and it won't show on your tax return, so you can enter "1" and the sale amount as $0.

Taxhelp1081

Need help with 1099b box 1a

Thanks.

I dont think I asked the question correctly. I received $17k as part of a merger. This cash was in addition to the 1:1 stock transfer to the new company. 

I received a 1099b form for the $17k and box 1a says zero shares sold because I have not sold any of my shares. The cost basis is blank. Proceeds is listed as $17k. 

Do I just report the $17k from the 1099b and set the cost basis to 0?