Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My wife works, I'm disabled drawing ssi disability can and should she be able to claim me as a dependent

@Efg013371 You have some complicated issues----and some of them are not tax issues.  We can only answer income tax questions here.  We cannot tell you anything about getting SNAP benefits here, and we cannot give legal advice about your mother's marriage.

You say she already receives Social Security.   But then you mentioned "SSI"---and I wonder if you know the difference.   Social Security and SSI  are not the same thing.    We do not/cannot know if she would qualify for SSI.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

You say your mother does not want a divorce, but it might be a good idea to seek some legal advice for her.   An attorney could advise her as to what rights she might have to any assets they own jointly in the marriage. 

We do not know enough about her situation or her spouse's finances to advise you as to whether filing as married filing separately would be a better plan for her if she leaves him.   If she does not file a joint return with him, then you may be able to claim her as a dependent on your own tax return.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Peter white
Returning Member

My wife works, I'm disabled drawing ssi disability can and should she be able to claim me as a dependent

I work my wife is disabled can I file her as a dependent

@Peter white wrote:

I work my wife is disabled can I file her as a dependent

A spouse can never be claimed as a dependent.  You should be filing your tax return as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies