dooley201

My teenage son's employer sent a W-9 form to fill out. I am claiming him as a dependent on my taxes. his wages are less than 6300. Do we have to file his wages?

He is not a self employed kid. How does this effect my taxes?
Coleen3

If he made less than $6300, he is not required to file but may want to in order to get back any withholding. You may claim him as a dependent assuming you meet the rest of the tests. Please see dependent filing requirements in the screenshot below.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.