turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My status: to file tax as a residential alien and a F1 visa user Question1: Is earned income credits applicable for me? Question2: Can I e-file my 2017 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

My status: to file tax as a residential alien and a F1 visa user Question1: Is earned income credits applicable for me? Question2: Can I e-file my 2017 tax return?

How long have you been in the US on your F-1 visa?

This is my 6th year, and I think I should file 2017 tax as a residential alien. My question are 1) is earned income credit applicable for F1 visa holder? Including state credits of rent? Because I found the software asked questions about the rent; 2) can I efile my tax return?
DS30

If you are on an F-1 visa and you meet the substantial presence test for the entire 2017 calendar tax year then you will be considered a US resident for US income tax purposes for 2017. You would be entitled to the earned income credit if you qualify (one of the requirements being that you have a valid Social Security Number) and you would be able to efile your return.

Please note - - If you are on a F-1 visa, you will be exempt from the Substantial Presence Test for the first 2 (if non-student) or 5 (if student) calendar years that you are in the US.

TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR. You may want to try https://www.sprintax.com/ which is specifically designed to help international student nonresident aliens with their US tax returns.

Here is a link to the IRS website for Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies