Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My spouse does not have a ssn and no ITIN.

I cannot go to next step as it asks me to put in my wife's ssn/itin information. But she does not have a SSN/ITIN. I am a F-1 visa student and my wife is my dependent with F-2 visa. I want to add her in my tax return form jointly. But she does not have any income claiming a tax return. I am blocked to move forward before putting in her SSN/ITIN. What am I supposed to do?
1 Reply
New Member

My spouse does not have a ssn and no ITIN.

If you are planning on filing as Married Filing Joint, and she does not have and does not currently qualify for a Social Security Number, then he will need to apply for an ITIN.  The following answer that I gave on this subject should be of assistance in helping you to file your return: 

To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the address shown in the Form W-7 Instructions, present it at IRS walk-in offices, or process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.

The IRS provides the following instructions on how to an apply for an ITIN:

How do I apply for an ITIN?
Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

     Internal Revenue Service
     Austin Service Center
     ITIN Operation
     P.O. Box 149342
     Austin, TX 78714-9342

You may also apply using the services of an IRS-authorized 
Acceptance Agent or visit some key IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin. Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) in the United States provide in-person help with ITIN applications on an appointment basis only. The IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers through the mail.

For additional information about ITINs, please see the following IRS topic:

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings