Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nursewill26

My son filed taxes and said that he is not dependent but he still is and marked the box as independent. Can his taxes be refiled instead of mine?

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

My son filed taxes and said that he is not dependent but he still is and marked the box as independent. Can his taxes be refiled instead of mine?

Your son can't refile. He has to file an amended return. Amended returns can not be e-filed, as the IRS says it has to be printed, signed and mailed. Additionally, if his original return was e-filed *and* accepted by the IRS, then you to will have to print, sign and mail your return to the IRS.

If your son claimed his self-exemption on his e-filed and accepted return, then IRS computers already have his SSN marked as 'claimed', and you can't afford to wait the 6-8 weeks (usually longer) for the IRS to update the computer for the 2016 tax season, assuming they actually do that. (They usually don't). So you too will have to print, sign and mail your return to the IRS this year.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v