My sole prop has one employee (me). I usually contribute the maximum ($15,500) to my Simple IRA . This year's net profit is $8,801. Can I still contribute $15,500? EA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz

For the purpose of retirement contributions, the tax code considers a sole proprietor to be both employer and employee.

Your SIMPLE IRA contribution is limited to your net earnings from self-employment.  For the purposes of a SIMPLE IRA contribution, your net earnings from self-employment are the amount shown on line 4 of short Schedule SE or line 6 of long Schedule SE.  In this case, that means that your net earnings for the purpose of a SIMPLE IRA contribution are limited to $8,128.

A sole proprietor can elect to defer up to 100% of their income up to a maximum of $12,500 or $15,500 for those age 50 or older
Carl

Also, a sole proprietorship can not, under any circumstances have an employee who is also the owner of that business. You can not and will not ever issue yourself a W-2, 1099-MISC or any other type of tax reporting document. That's be cause your sole proprietorship, which is reported on SCH C as a part of your personal tax return, is considered a disregarded entity by the IRS.

For an IRA contribution.  If you only have self-employment income you can only contribute up to your net profit reduced by the deduction allowed for one-half of your self-employment taxes.  See IRS publication 590 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf">http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf</a>

So check 1040 line 27.  You have to deduct that amount from your Schedule C Net Profit.  That will give you the allowed contribution for the 1099Misc income.

So on a Net Profit of 8,801 you can contribute up to $8,179

Thank you, Carl. I believe I misspoke by calling myself an "employee." I don't issue myself any docs like W-2s or 1099-MISCs.

But am I nevertheless correct to list my employee contribution portion on line 28 of my 1040?

Wow, thank you Volvo Girl. I thought I'd poured over IRS doc about this I could find...but that's why you're the pro.
dmertz

VolvoGirl, net earnings for the purpose of a SIMPLE IRA contribution are calculated differently.  See page 5 of IRS Pub 560.

Well I gave you the link for a regular IRA.  I see for a Simple IRA plan you need publication 560 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p560.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p560.pdf</a>  I don't know exactly how that works.  I don't see about it being up to your net profit like the regular IRA.
dmertz

dmertz

In looking at this again, I think that $8,128 is the maximum elective deferral.  It appears that you might also be permitted a matching contribution of 3% of compensation (compensation being equal to net earnings).  That would be $8,128 * 0.03 = $244.  Added to the $8,128 of elective deferrals, that would total $8,372.  You might want to check with your SIMPLE IRA custodian on this.

Schwab's calculator for this seems to confirm this:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://client.schwab.com/secure/file/P-8689676/MKT85883.pdf">https://client.schwab.com/secure/file/...>