Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My return was rejected due to FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA but I did not inherit an IRA.

As noumiax pointed out:

line 8 on form 8606 is left empty, but line 16 is filled appropriately.  this not only occurred this year, but it occurred in past years when there is no rejection.  However, it did not make sense to me why line 8 is left blank.

My return was rejected due to FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA but I did not inherit an IRA.

While it is worthwhile retrying after any new updates, I don't hold out much hope that the March 5 update TT mentions will fix our issue with FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA since very few of us even have an inherited IRA.

kb2323

Just got my rejection for both FED and STATE a few minutes ago. The same issue as everyone else is facing. Do not have an inherited IRA, just did a backdoor Roth conversion. 

This is really frustrating, hoping TT fixes this by March 5. 

Error code: 

FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA - There is a potential issue with the calculation of your Taxable Inherited IRA.

Seeing this as well. I'll wait for March 5 update and check

Same as everyone else - no inherited IRA, both fed and state rejected. Waiting til at least march 5 before doing anything right now based no what I read here and hopefully will get a clear clean answer from TT at that time on what to do to fix this.

I did a backdoor roth for both me and my wife. Also did a 401K post tax conversion to Roth 401K w/ some realization of income that i paid taxes on that.  

Thought it was interesting the state rejected as well.  Oh well - waiting here.

Like others, trying to find commonality.  I had the same Taxable_Inherited_IRA (and have no inherited IRAs).

1. Traditional IRA => Roth IRA conversion - Yes. I had Roth conversions (backdoor/non-deductible)- me and my spouse)

> 2. Some non-deductible contributions to the Traditional IRA (form 8606) - Yes, have basis and have non-deductible contributions.

had estimated taxes paid - NO.  Seems like some did, seems not always / not part of bug?

also waited for the updated Form 2210 - Yes, I waited.  But some did/some didn't.  Maybe not part of bug.

Working --- seems like commonly people with this rejection have (1) Roth IRA conversions, (2) Form 8606 non-deductible contributions.  And we don't have inherited IRAs but are getting bug.  My Form 8606 form ... may have issues.  Looks like Turbotax didn't fill out lines 6-12 (and it should have)/they are blank.  Instead it references with an asterisk on line 13 *From Taxable IRA Distribution Wkst (per IRS Pub. 590-B).  But that isn't what was done on my 8606 last year.  It seems weird that TT is referring to a worksheet and not just filling lines 6-12 on my 8606; I can see how IRS might reject.  Anyone else have missing / blank lines 6-12 but have data on line 5,13 on Form 8606?

6-12 are also blank for me. Beyond frustrating!

MrMe31

I had the same rejection pattern today (3/1), and I also do not have an inherited IRA.

Lines 6-12 were left blank on my 8606 as well...reading the instructions 8606 form, it certainly looks like these lines should have filled out to support the entries that appear in lines 16-18.

6-12 are blank for me, but the last time I did a conversion in 2018, Form 8606 was also blank for those lines.

For the record, same rejection happened with me on Feb 26.  I waited until then to file because Form 6252 wasn't ready until then.  (6252 unrelated to IRA.)

Specifics:  My wife and I have Traditional IRAs.  Have distributions (partly taxable).  Have 8606's.  No IRA contributions.  Never had Roth IRAs and don't have inherited IRAs.

I'm planning to wait until someone has success in re-submitting.  Please post if you are successful.

Right, I can find prior years when I did conversions, where those were blank on my Form 8606.  (that block lines 6-12) but then I had entries in line 13.

If I were filling it out by hand... I'd have entered things in 6-12 to support what's in line 13. 

Not sure if that contributed to the error.  Odd.

I haven't read every post in this chat subject... did anyone get an accepted bug?

Actually, I DO have an inherited IRA and am getting this message when it rejects the e-file, but now I'm thinking that it's not really a problem with that IRA but is a more general TT/IRS problem. So I guess I'll wait a week or so and try again.  If it gets rejected again I'll resort to mailing my return since it looks like everything on the printed forms is correct.

skth
Level 1

This sucks. I am doing myself first time got rejected for federal and state. "FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA" I just tried to refile.Hope this doesnt cause any issues. 

SoCalSLL

Add one more to the list.

Lines 6-12 are empty, but they were empty on my 2019 return as well and no issues then. Exact same tax situation with Roth conversion in both years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies