Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My return rejected for incorrect prior year agi. I used turbotax last year so i know its correct. I got a transcript from IRS and it is correct. What do I do?

All rejects come form the IRS not TurboTax.

See this TurboTax FAQ on how to find your AGI

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

You can get free 2019 tax transcript from the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you filed late last year there is a good chance that the 2019 AGI never was entered into the e-file database. Try using 0 (zero) for the AGI.

If you filed an amended return use the AGI on the first filed tax return.

If it continues to reject then the AGI in the IRS database might be in error. Mail filing is the only option.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My return rejected for incorrect prior year agi. I used turbotax last year so i know its correct. I got a transcript from IRS and it is correct. What do I do?

Like I said before, it is correct. I got the records from the IRS. Turbotax can blame the IRS, but only seems to be a problem with Turbotax. 

Then go elsewhere and you will get the same  reject with the same AGI.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jimcheney

I agree, turbo tax is not helping and isn't fixing the problem.  I should have stayed with HRBlock.  

@jimcheney wrote:

I agree, turbo tax is not helping and isn't fixing the problem.  I should have stayed with HRBlock.  

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

E-filing your 2020 tax return: To e-file you will need to enter your AGI from your tax year 2019 tax return.  If your 2019 return has not yet been processed, you may enter $ 0 (zero) as your prior year Adjusted Gross Income. If you used the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool last year to register for an Economic Impact Payment, enter “$1” as your prior year AGI.

First, Turbotax does not care about you. They will not help address the problem. Second, the IRS does not care about you, they will not help address the issue. They are both incompetent. Turbotax employees wills imply repeat the same thing over and over again like robots. Fact. 

So, here is what you should try: 

1. Try the obvious stuff first. Get your transcipt, enter the correct amount for yourself and spouse. The number is the same for both. 

2. Try entering zero. 

3. Of course those won't work. So, try selecting "I did not file any taxes last year." Then submit. Turbotax will lie to you and tell you this will not work. However, it did work for me. After 8 attempts, I finally got an "accepted." I 100% did file taxes last year. 

My intuition  is this: the servers on which your taxes are held are different than the servers on which your e-file is held. Those servers don't communicate. And nobody gives a rat crap to fix it. Sad, but true. 

If you have any other solutions, please add them. 

kaneggo

Same happened to me and I crossed checked my AGI with my IRS transcript. I filed in May 2020. If you filed last year after April 15, 2020 you will have to put $0 for your AGI. I did this and it was immediately accepted. The IRS doesn't always update their e-File registry with updated AGIs. The issue has nothing to do with TurboTax. This has been an issue with all tax platforms.

richca2004
Returning Member

My return has been rejected 6 times because it says the AGI is incorrect. I pulled the IRS transcripts and all of the information is the same. WHAT GIVES!!!

I have used Turbo Tax for 20+ years and never had this issue before.

richca2004
Returning Member

My return was finally accepted after 9 tries by entering "0" for the AGI.

souravdada
Returning Member

Hi,

I has similar issue, but this worked out for me.

1) You will need your last year Self Sign PIN (you would have created 5 digit PIN for filling 2019 returns)

While again e-filling electronically once its rejected, there is a step which says "PERSON doesn't have 2019 tax return"(to enter AGI) - i forgot where exactly you will see this, but you would see it somewhere during the navigation of e-filling,

Then it gives an option of either a) physically mail the returns or b) enter the last year(2019) 5 digit Self Service PIN(Remember this is not IRS PIN) created while submitting the 2019 returns.

Thats it i remember my last years self service PIN and it worked for me. Both Federal & State returns were accepted.

This is just experience, not sure if this work for you.

Thanks

ml3904

i entered the incorrect amount of my adjusted gross income from2020, i have not efiled yet how can i correct

@ml3904 wrote:

i entered the incorrect amount of my adjusted gross income from2020, i have not efiled yet how can i correct

See this TurboTax support FAQ for correcting the AGI that was entered - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

richca

Maybe you can open the form and edit or override it in the current return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies