Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My parents have to pay my federal tax due

how do I show that my parents are paying it so they can use it on their return the following year?
1 Reply
Level 3

My parents have to pay my federal tax due

Federal tax due on anyone's return isn't tax deductible on your federal return, so they don't get the deduction.

However, state tax due IS.  Next year, they can just put the amount (if any) in Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>>Other Income Taxes.

They will need to have a copy of your 2016 state income tax return when they do next year's taxes.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies