rayman969

My only income is SSI, do I have to file? If not how do I get a letter of nonfiling?

Are you married? Does your spouse have income?

SSI is Supplemental Security Income.  It is not a Social Security benefit and is not reported on a tax return.

If you receive Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits those are reported on a Form SSA-1099.  That form you would receive from the Social Security Administration each January.  If the Social Security benefits are the only income of any kind to be reported on your tax return then there is no need to file a tax return.

A Verification of Non-filing Letter can be obtained from the IRS at this website - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

AS62

My only income SSI

DO I NEED TO FILE TAXES

@AS62 wrote:

My only income SSI

DO I NEED TO FILE TAXES

As previously stated on the message directly above your post -

If you receive Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits those are reported on a Form SSA-1099.  That form you would receive from the Social Security Administration each January.  If the Social Security benefits are the only income of any kind to be reported on your tax return then there is no need to file a tax return.

AS62

Separated and he doesn’t have income

Troop2014

My only income is SSI and I do not have to file the federal tax form.  Do I still have to file in Maryland?

Troop2014

No I am single

Troop2014

Do I have to file a Maryland form?

LeonardS

No, if your only income is SSI you do not have to file a Maryland return. You do not need a letter of non-filing if you do not file.

@Troop2014