turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

berrmd

My oldest child start to work and received a w2, if she file her taxes, means that I can't claim her as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

My oldest child start to work and received a w2, if she file her taxes, means that I can't claim her as a dependent?

You can claim her as a dependent and she can still file her own return. However, when she files her tax return she'll need to indicate that she's being claimed as a dependent. You will need to meet the requirements to claim her as a dependent. If she was under the age of 24 and a full time student, then she must not have used her money to provide more than half of her own support. If she was 19 or older, then her income must have been under $4050 for the year. Please view the Turbo Tax FAQ below to see a full list of requirements.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

[edited 04/03/17]

View solution in original post

7 Replies

How old and is she a full time student?
Did she earn more than $4,050?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
berrmd

She is 18 and is a full time student and yes she earn more than $4,050

Then as long as she did not pay more than 1/2 of her own support, she would be your dependent.   You can claim a child that is under age 19 or a full time student under age 24 reguardless of how much they earn as long as they did not pay more then half of their own support.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
berrmd

Thank you very much for your prompt answer, now I can file my taxes without a problem.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You can claim her as a dependent and she can still file her own return. However, when she files her tax return she'll need to indicate that she's being claimed as a dependent. You will need to meet the requirements to claim her as a dependent. If she was under the age of 24 and a full time student, then she must not have used her money to provide more than half of her own support. If she was 19 or older, then her income must have been under $4050 for the year. Please view the Turbo Tax FAQ below to see a full list of requirements.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

[edited 04/03/17]

@TurboTaxKatrinaB - How can you make an unqualified statement that the child can be claimed without knowing the age, student status and amount of income of the child?
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I have edited the answer above
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies