Solved: My net refund is larger (state and federal combined) if I itemize but the TurboTax software recommends I use the standard deduction. Why is that?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My net refund is larger (state and federal combined) if I itemize but the TurboTax software recommends I use the standard deduction. Why is that?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My net refund is larger (state and federal combined) if I itemize but the TurboTax software recommends I use the standard deduction. Why is that?

It is good that you noticed that your combined Federal and state is better when you itemize instead of use the standard deduction. 

TurboTax most likely only considers the Federal return when making the recommendation to use the standard deduction.  Because you have to complete the Federal information completely before proceeding to your state returns, the comparison may not be made at the end of the state returns as well.  That would be a great recommendation as a program enhancement. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It is good that you noticed that your combined Federal and state is better when you itemize instead of use the standard deduction. 

TurboTax most likely only considers the Federal return when making the recommendation to use the standard deduction.  Because you have to complete the Federal information completely before proceeding to your state returns, the comparison may not be made at the end of the state returns as well.  That would be a great recommendation as a program enhancement. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings