turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

vsick

My income from New York State Paid Family Leave was sent as a 1099-MISC. When I enter it, it keeps moving it to the business section as a self employment.

This cannot be the correct way to enter this information.  When I fill out the same fields I end up with a personal deduction for self employment tax. This changes my total deduction and I clearly wasn’t self employed.
Carl
Level 15

My income from New York State Paid Family Leave was sent as a 1099-MISC. When I enter it, it keeps moving it to the business section as a self employment.

That's because you entered it wrong the first time. You need to go into the business section and delete the SCH C. Until you do that, the SE tax will continue to be assessed by the program.

nystaxper (or any others who followed this advice of entering a business code for NY paid family leave).

Did this work??

Background, for my 2020 taxes, I followed all the advice above up until this last suggestion of entering a business code just to get rid of the error.  Non of the above advice worked, but I'm hesitant to enter a business code just to get past this problem in order to enter NY paid family leave that was reported as 1099-Misc by a third party payor.  

Did you have any fallout/follow up issues (i.e. tax return not accepted or a follow up issue from the IRS for doing it by entering 999999 for paid family leave income?)  It seems unconventional and as though it could cause a problem down the road by entering 999999 as business code after you did this?

TURBO TAX NEEDS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!  IT'S A GLITCH IN THE SOFTWARE!! TURBO TAX EXPERTS, WHY AREN'T YOU FIXING THIS?  IT'S OBVIOUSLY A PROBLEM FOR MANY USERS!!!???

This worked for me. But what do you do with the Schedule C. Do you just delete it or fill it in?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you utilized the posting process outlined by nystaxpayer , and you have no other Schedule C income, you can clear it out and it will not be included in your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

JohnB5677, thank you. Just to be clear.  When you say "you can clear it out and it will not be included in your tax return" Would I delete the schedule C from the Turbo Tax program (since there's nothing to report) or fill in the responses on Schedule C with the nystaxper answers and produce the Schedule C which would be sent to the IRS and states?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, delete the empty and unused IRS Form 1040 Schedule C form in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies