turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Husband is in prison can i claim him as a dependent?)

And do I file married filing jointly or married filing separate?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot claim your husband as your dependent.  For tax purposes, your spouse is never your dependent.  

As to the filing status, you can choose which status is most beneficial to you. Generally, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) status is much more beneficial for the taxpayers, as it allows practically all credits and deductions if you qualify for them.Ir your husband has no income while in prison - it will help actually help your income (while file jointly)  be reduced by 'joint' deductions, which may increase your refund/ lower your tax liability.

Married Filing Separately (MFS) is usually the most expensive method of filing taxes. The tax rate is higher, many credits are disallowed, such as Earned Income Credit, Child and Dependent Care credit, Education credits, etc.

Note: When filing jointly, you may need a power of attorney to prepare and sign on his behalf.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot claim your husband as your dependent.  For tax purposes, your spouse is never your dependent.  

As to the filing status, you can choose which status is most beneficial to you. Generally, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) status is much more beneficial for the taxpayers, as it allows practically all credits and deductions if you qualify for them.Ir your husband has no income while in prison - it will help actually help your income (while file jointly)  be reduced by 'joint' deductions, which may increase your refund/ lower your tax liability.

Married Filing Separately (MFS) is usually the most expensive method of filing taxes. The tax rate is higher, many credits are disallowed, such as Earned Income Credit, Child and Dependent Care credit, Education credits, etc.

Note: When filing jointly, you may need a power of attorney to prepare and sign on his behalf.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies