Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband filed "married filling jointly." He submitted a return and submitted a return for me. My return was much bigger than his, but mine was rejected. How to fix?

I get the Reject Code IND-508-01. Is there a way to remove my husband's return that's already been submitted, since his return was bigger? Or should we just un-submit mine?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My husband filed "married filling jointly." He submitted a return and submitted a return for me. My return was much bigger than his, but mine was rejected. How to fix?

Once he has filled a joint return you can’t file a separate one. 

I paid for federal and state - TurboTax let me file as "married filed jointly." 

Should I just not fix the "error" and consider my taxes filed by him? I'm guessing the issue is that when he filed "married filed jointly" he should have just submitted that - not submitted and entirely second "married filled jointly" with me as the primary? 

Correct. You can only file one joint return. 

Did he include all you income on the Joint return that went through?  A joint return is one return combined for the both of you.   Just ignore your return and account.  Use his going forward.  You can try to get a refund for the Turbo Tax fees on your account.  

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

for married filing jointly only 1 return is submitted. It's supposed to report the income of both spouses.

If that's what he did, then nothing needs to be done. Your return was rejected so you don't need to do anything.

***************;

If he didn't include your income, that's a problem. Likely his return will not be fully processed because of your missing income.

see this link for filing an amended return ASAP to avoid penalties and interest for late filing and payment if taxes are owed.

https://finance.zacks.com/happens-file-taxes-married-jointly-forgot-add-income-2306.html 

if the intent was not to file jointly, his return was well as yours would need to be married filing separately.

bith must itemize or use the standard deduction. Combined taxes on 2 MFS returns will likely result in higher total taxes than 1 MFJ return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies