Solved: My husband filed jointly, does that mean I don't need to file? When one spouse files jointly does that mean the other spouse doesn't need to file ? It it all one ?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrs-Reid

My husband filed jointly, does that mean I don't need to file? When one spouse files jointly does that mean the other spouse doesn't need to file ? It it all one ?

My husband filed jointly and we are both young and new to this. I don't understand how it works. If he filed and got accepted jointly, am I still expected to also file ??? or is it like we both filed since he selected joint ? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

My husband filed jointly, does that mean I don't need to file? When one spouse files jointly does that mean the other spouse doesn't need to file ? It it all one ?

You filed together as a married couple. Your return should have all the income and deductions that relate to both of you. You do not file a separate return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You filed together as a married couple. Your return should have all the income and deductions that relate to both of you. You do not file a separate return.

View solution in original post

Mrs-Reid

Thank you! We had no idea what we were doing
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings