turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I submitted an injured spouse form with our taxes due to my student loans. We received a deposit but it’s less than what we were told?

Filed injured spouse and taxes at the same time. Used the tax expert to help who advised us to have my spouse claim the 3 children. Refund was half of what was expected 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband and I submitted an injured spouse form with our taxes due to my student loans. We received a deposit but it’s less than what we were told?

You asked the IRS to not send your entire refund to the student loan offset.  They have apparently done that by giving you half your requested refund.  The injured spouse form is never a guarantee that the IRS will accept your request as written.   The IRS will send a letter of explanation in a few weeks. 

Also remember that any state tax refund is paid separately from the IRS refund.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You asked the IRS to not send your entire refund to the student loan offset.  They have apparently done that by giving you half your requested refund.  The injured spouse form is never a guarantee that the IRS will accept your request as written.   The IRS will send a letter of explanation in a few weeks. 

Also remember that any state tax refund is paid separately from the IRS refund.  

So if state refunds are different from IRS refunds will there be another deposit?

Yes, whenever the state finishes processing your return.  Every state is different and you need to check your own stste’s tax site for a specific update.  

Thank you so much for your help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies