andiebats

My husband and I just got married in November, should we file separately or together? He was 1099 until October 2017, and then became W-2. Please advise.

KrisD

You have the option of filing either way, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS). 

Some credits are disallowed when filing separate. The best bottom line will almost certainly be obtained by filing as Married Filing Jointly. 

KrisD

andiebats

Is this still the best choice considering that he was 1099 most of last year but I was not?
KrisD

Well the point is, your combined tax will be less if you file jointly. He will (probably) owe more tax than you do if you file separately, because he is a 1099, but if you both feel responsibility to pay the tax for BOTH of you, MFJ is better for the both of you TOGETHER.