Solved: My home address zip code on my w-2 is incorrect. Can i just input the correct zip code into turbo tax to finish filing or do i need to get a corrected w-2?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My home address zip code on my w-2 is incorrect. Can i just input the correct zip code into turbo tax to finish filing or do i need to get a corrected w-2?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My home address zip code on my w-2 is incorrect. Can i just input the correct zip code into turbo tax to finish filing or do i need to get a corrected w-2?

Provided the only error on your W-2 is the address, you can enter the correct zip code.

Did your employer mail the document to you? If so, look at the envelope it was sent to you in - does it have the correct zip code listed?

If not, you need to contact the employer and have them reissue a W-2 to you with the correct address. They also have the option to send the W-2 with the incorrect address, as long as the envelope the send the W-2 to you in lists the correct address.

Basically - the IRS just wants proof that your employer knows your correct address.

Read more: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf page 25

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Provided the only error on your W-2 is the address, you can enter the correct zip code.

Did your employer mail the document to you? If so, look at the envelope it was sent to you in - does it have the correct zip code listed?

If not, you need to contact the employer and have them reissue a W-2 to you with the correct address. They also have the option to send the W-2 with the incorrect address, as long as the envelope the send the W-2 to you in lists the correct address.

Basically - the IRS just wants proof that your employer knows your correct address.

Read more: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf page 25

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings