Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My grandaughter is my dependent because her parents died last year where do I report a SSA 1099 check comes in her name but she’s a minor so it lists me too

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My grandaughter is my dependent because her parents died last year where do I report a SSA 1099 check comes in her name but she’s a minor so it lists me too

Oh, so sorry for that terrible loss.

Do not enter the SSA1099 for your child on your own tax return.   Someday if the child has other income  (after school job, etc.) and is filing a tax return, for that tax year he will need to include the SSA1099 on his own return.  Until then, it does not get entered anywhere.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one.  If they only get ssi or SS, SSDI or a SSA-1099 they don't have to file a return and nobody reports it.

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

You do not enter the SSA-1099 that she received on your tax return.  If you look at the SSA-1099 in box 2 it will have her Social Security number entered, not yours.

If the SS benefits she received is her only income she does not need to file a tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies