turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal has been accepted but I was sent a letter saying that I have to prove my identity and because of covid I am unable to do that....will I still get the covid stimulus and will it go to my tur

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

My federal has been accepted but I was sent a letter saying that I have to prove my identity and because of covid I am unable to do that....will I still get the covid stimulus and will it go to my tur

If the IRS is questioning your Identity (making you prove it), then it seems unlikely that they would forward your stimulus to you before you prove it. 

As far as the stimulus payment going to your TurboTax card, that information has not yet been released:

We are still waiting for IRS guidance regarding updating or providing direct deposit information for the stimulus payments and how they will be distributed to these types of accounts. We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

You may need to wait for the Treasury to set up the web portal for you to enter the banking information. If you did not have a refund with Direct Deposit, the IRS does not have your banking information. 

"In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."

See more info here on the Treasury website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yeah I got a letter around the 17th saying that I need to verify my identity because I filed that was a week before all of this happened...... and they are closed so how do I prove my identity I can't do it online I do not have any of that information student loan home loan or credit card

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You might try contacting your local taxpayer advocacy office.  Please visit taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov to locate your local office phone number. You can also keep trying the contact number on your letter. 

Here is an IRS site showing their current operations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Having the same problem can you let me know if you find solution?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies