Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

lgcooke

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Thanks for the insights, LField.

I have the exact same problem: the IRS won't accept a foreign telephone number, yet the Intuit site does, thereby creating a mismatch. I'm perplexed as to why Intuit would expose both numbers to the IRS, when the numbers should be independent of each other, but that's another story.

I cannot find a means of changing or deleting the Intuit number. It doesn't allow it for some reason. My Brazilian number was verified, but there should be a mechanism to change it, but my login doesn't allow it. Any further guidance?

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

@lgcooke wrote:

Thanks for the insights, LField.

I have the exact same problem: the IRS won't accept a foreign telephone number, yet the Intuit site does, thereby creating a mismatch. I'm perplexed as to why Intuit would expose both numbers to the IRS, when the numbers should be independent of each other, but that's another story.

I cannot find a means of changing or deleting the Intuit number. It doesn't allow it for some reason. My Brazilian number was verified, but there should be a mechanism to change it, but my login doesn't allow it. Any further guidance?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for this error - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

Desharn41

I had the same issue today.  I used some of the advice giving.  I went to my Intuit accounted deleted my Germany number that verified there and changed it to my U.S. vonage number.  I refresh the Inuit account and went back to my TurboTax account and changed it there too.  File again, this time it asked me to verify the vonage number my text or voice.  I verified by voice and was finally able to submit and file my returns.  I hope this helps.

I had this issue as well and all I needed to do was go change my phone number in my intuit account and then made sure that it was the same number in my TurboTax 'my info' tab.

rdeianni

I received the SMS error. I do not have a US number. My Philippines number has been verified. I do receive messages from SMS. Why does Intuit not resolve this problem

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@rdeianni

There seems to be an issue with e-filing when there is not a US phone number listed in your Intuit Online account.   When you are signed into your account, click on Intuit Account in the bottom left corner.    The error is not from the phone number on your tax return but rather the phone number attached to your Intuit (TurboTax) account.  

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of TurboTax.   No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when you are done. Then go back to your return and continue filing.   Don't use a Google Voice number, a Skype number, or any other non-US or non-verifiable phone number.  Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable.  

You may be able to leave the phone number field blank on your Intuit account and e-file your return.  No matter which option you use, make sure to update your account with your correct phone number once your return is e-filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
FPizzle

Glad you found something that worked. But I don't understand your explanation. I have a US Skype number but that obviously didn't work. I think it's up to Intuit to solve this issue as there seem to be a large number of people with the same problem. And I tried using my VPN with a US IP and that didn't work either.  With so many people outside of the US they should either accept an international number or verify another way.

THANK YOU!!! It worked!!!!

"Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable. "

Oh, that makes sense -- not.  I e-filed last year flawlessly. This year I'm going around and around in circles in an attempt to file online. How does one with a US work phone number (not cell or smartphone) and foreign domestic phone number verify the US phone number? 

I have received both voice and text on my foreign domestic non-smartphone for two-factor authentication from other US companies. Why and Intuit do this? Cost?

"Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable. "

Rather nebulous but it worked. 

Plug a US telephone number into your personal information in Intuit. (Probably won't hurt if it matches the Turbo Tax account personal information number as well.) Do not verify. When e-filing in Turbo Tax opt for email updates. Stay away from anything that has to do with a telephone number and SMS.

I think the lack of requirement to verify the telephone number in Intuit is a bug. Leave it as is, please.

I am wondering if they are reading these complaints or even addressing them. Bad customer service track record here. Wishing you all the best of luck. Dr. J

Sturmfam

We solved this error today after reading through all the responses here.  It wasn't just a matter of fixing the personal info in our tax forms, we had to go into our actual Intuit account, in settings, (I think under security) and change our phone number to an American one in there.  What a dumb issue...  Hope Turbo tax is tracking the bug and fixes it, because this caused many days of headache for me, and their customer service is almost non-existent these days...

I came ---> <--- this close to clicking on the "Do My Taxes For Me" button. Makes ya wonder...

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide information on the SMS error.

Error 601ERRV:5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
busycharlie
Returning Member

Hi, I have a verified foreign cell number on my intuit account but when I started to fill in my info on the TT free version I can't put my foreign number in, it only takes US number. TT software is really a mess this year. So is there a workaround for this problem? Thanks in advance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies