Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbrick84

My ex will be claiming our kids on taxes every other year will this effect their Medicaid? the kids legal address is the same as mine. Shared 50-50 custody

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
bbrick84

My ex will be claiming our kids on taxes every other year will this effect their Medicaid? the kids legal address is the same as mine. Shared 50-50 custody

They are registered for Medicaid along with myself
bbrick84

They are registered for Medicaid along with myself

This is not an income tax question. You must ask Medicaid.

You have to ask Medicaid that

bbrick84

I have and no one seems to be able to answer me. They send me back and forth from the gov office to the county office.
bbrick84

According to Medicaid it is a tax question

Unfortunately, whoever told you that at Medicaid has no idea what they are talking about.  It is not a tax question, but a Medicaid eligibility question.  You may need to ask for a Supervisor.

However, I am familiar with the Medicaid rules *IF* you live in a State that has fully expanded Medicaid.  What State do you live in?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/state-activity-around-expanding-medicaid-under-the...>
bbrick84

Colorado

I missed that your post said it is 50/50 custody, which complicates things significantly. Unfortunately, I can't give you any definite, but here are some thoughts:

First, there is no such thing as 50/50 custody for tax purposes (and Medicaid purposes).  Who does the child live with more nights during the year?  That is the "custodial parent".

From a strictly literal viewpoint, the Federal rules seem to indicate that BOTH of your incomes may be used to determine Medicaid eligibility.  It says "if living with the individual" ... then "the individual's parents" income is included.  To me, that seems to indicate both of your incomes should be included.

However, the prior paragraphs in the law hint that it would be the "custodial parent" is who considered to "live with the [child]".  From what I have seen and heard, that is consistent with most Medicaid application forms.  So *IF* you are the "custodial parent", that would mean only your income would be counted, regardless if your ex claims the child.

I'm sorry I can't give you anything more definite.  I think you may just need to fill out the Medicaid applications honestly and hope for the best.
bbrick84

Thanks TaxGuy Bill
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies