Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer reported a wrong wage amount in one State W2

I worked for 2 months in 2020 in CA, then moved to NY in March working for the same employer.

- My W2, the federal copy, shows  Box 15: Total State, blank for box 16, and the total of the 2 state withholding taxes (see below) in box 17.

- My W2 CA copy shows an overstated amount in box 16 (state wage), box 17 (withholding tax) is correct.  

- My W2 NY copy shows the FY earnings including the CA portion in box 16, and the NY withholding tax in box 17.

When I imported my W2, only CA wage and withholding showed up in box 15, 17 & 17. 

Thanks.

How should I enter the correct info into Turbotax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Enter the CA and the NY information as it appears on your W2, and all as if it was just one W2 (because it is).  Ignore the general all states information and don't enter it.

The New York return requires you to use allocation screens for you to claim your New York income.  You can use the percentage method.  Subtract California income from total income, and divide the result by total income.  Enter the percentage without the symbol (.0833 would be 83.33)  This will give you the correct New York income, and it will calculate from there.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Enter the CA and the NY information as it appears on your W2, and all as if it was just one W2 (because it is).  Ignore the general all states information and don't enter it.

The New York return requires you to use allocation screens for you to claim your New York income.  You can use the percentage method.  Subtract California income from total income, and divide the result by total income.  Enter the percentage without the symbol (.0833 would be 83.33)  This will give you the correct New York income, and it will calculate from there.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much.  It worked and saved me a lot of time and frustration.   TurboTax's choices, resident/non-resident ratio, by dates, do-not prorate or something like that, were confusing.  And the by dates approach is a lot more work than the way you recommended.  Just for understanding, I wonder if the following way is acceptable also: in W2 box 15-17 enter only the NYS info as in the NY W2,  since Box 16 shows the FY earning including the CA portion.  Then in another section, where Turbotax let you enter other taxes paid, input CA withholding taxes (I used the same % pro-rate method you had advised for NY ).  I tried this method and the results for Federatl, NY and CA look the same as the approach you had advised and I actually used.  Many thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies