Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My boyfriend put head of household on his paycheck as an exemption, but doesn’t have any dependents. He is the primary earner, what should we do

His job advised him to out head if household when he asked what that was because he is the primary earner.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My boyfriend put head of household on his paycheck as an exemption, but doesn’t have any dependents. He is the primary earner, what should we do

Going forward he needs to change the W-4 to Single and give the W-4 to his employer.

The Filing Status entered on a tax return has no relationship to the what was entered on a W-4.  He should be filing as Single on his tax return.

Your W-4 does not dictate how you file your tax return.  If he has no qualified dependents to file as HOH he will file as Single.  He cannot claim you as a qualified dependent---you are not related to him.   If he did not have enough tax withheld from his checks---which might be the case---he may owe when he prepares his return.

He might want to change his W-4 going forward.  He cannot file  a tax return as HOH without having a qualified dependent.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The W-4 is used to estimate a person's tax situation so the right amount can be withheld.  It is not binding and has no legal force.  Your boyfriend must file his taxes legally and correctly no matter what his W-4 says.  If he is unmarried and has no dependents, then he must file as single.

If his W-4 was withheld as HOH, he may be under-withheld, meaning he will owe additional taxes with his return.  To prevent this next year, change his withholding to single (unless you plan to get married or have a child). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies