turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My account seems to be locked into this free file mode

I went to fill out my taxes this year, like I have every year since 2011 and when I got past deductions the following message popped up: 

IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax doesn’t cover your tax situation

Please return to www.IRS.gov to see if you qualify for another Free File product.

I had never even heard of IRS Free File and had to google it.  Reading some support messages it appears that I am now no longer able to just pay you to file a tax return like I have for years??  I have to create an entirely new account associated with a new email address and lose my entire tax history in one place?  Please tell me this isn't your answer.  Why on earth can't I just pay you like I have every year for the past 8 years?  How did my account end up in this state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Za2

I figured it out. You basically have to intentionally search TurboTax Deluxe and then select a paid version of the software, then select that you used TurboTax last year, then you get a warning that you're switching off of the free product to the commercial software THEN it lets you continue.

See this link and select what you want to use. https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

This is better than the shiesty practice of saying FREE everywhere and then getting charged 40 dollars because you have a savings account which earned interest, but **bleep** they could have made it more obvious what you need to do. I want to pay for the service, don't hide the option to do that.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Za2

I'm encountering the same problem. I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere and I can't complete my taxes. It only gives me the option to go to IRS.gov and pick a different tax prep service.

Za2

I figured it out. You basically have to intentionally search TurboTax Deluxe and then select a paid version of the software, then select that you used TurboTax last year, then you get a warning that you're switching off of the free product to the commercial software THEN it lets you continue.

See this link and select what you want to use. https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

This is better than the shiesty practice of saying FREE everywhere and then getting charged 40 dollars because you have a savings account which earned interest, but **bleep** they could have made it more obvious what you need to do. I want to pay for the service, don't hide the option to do that.

Za2 - Holy crap, thank you so much.  I have no idea why they made the UI for this so terrible.  Why not let me upgrade at the moment you tell me I'm not eligible for freefile??  Why have so many official answers to questions saying you can't change your account type back??

Thank you again.

thank you SO much!!!! this was driving my insane. 

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies