turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdl1957-1

My 2018 fed return was accepted w/ tax due of $23,374, which I mailed in. Turbo Tax screen shows 2018 tax due of $16,569 in big numbers. Why the $6805 difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My 2018 fed return was accepted w/ tax due of $23,374, which I mailed in. Turbo Tax screen shows 2018 tax due of $16,569 in big numbers. Why the $6805 difference?

[moved to Answer section]
mdl1957-1

Wow!  I totally missed that. It does say 2018 tax, and does not specify state or federal.  The state refund was exactly $6805, ergo the net tax.  Thanks for the clarity.  

You're welcome.   We'll continue to try to get them to change that confusion.

Look at your actual Federal return Form 1040 to see the "taxes owed" amount.

In this user forum we can't see exactly what you are looking at, but I have a hunch.  On that Home summary screen TurboTax often confuses people by showing a "net" amount of the Federal and State situations added together.      Did you file a state return, and does it have a refund?

Are you due a state refund of $6805?  If so, then TurboTax is merely showing what your net result is when taking both the Federal result and State result into account.    

Look at that screen carefully.  It confuses a lot of users.   We have complained to TurboTax that combining the two results and showing a Net result is confusing to a lot of people.   

It would be better if they just displayed the Federal amount and the State amount and didn't add them together.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies