Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gschapman
Returning Member

Multi-State Allocation

Regardless of what I change my allocation percentages to, my refund estimates are not changing for either of my two states (NY & NC)  Is there an issue with the Desktop product, or does it not matter?  

We moved during the year and one W2 was working for a NC company while in NY for 2 months and 4 months while in NC.  But changing this allocation has not changed results.

The other W2 is working for NY, company changed to working for NC when I moved.  So allocation should be simple.  But having 100% NY vs 62% NY does not change results.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Multi-State Allocation

Contact Support today if you do not get an answer here.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Multi-State Allocation

You will file 2 part year state returns  reporting the income earned in each state.  What you don't like is the fact that NY calculates the tax based off your total annual income and then prorates the full year tax so the % you keep changing is immaterial.  PLEASE review the actual NY tax form to see this in action and ignore the "refund-O-Meter" figures.

gschapman
Returning Member

Multi-State Allocation

So you're saying that the start time of the job is immaterial to the allocation that New York provides?  So the only thing that matters is the date I moved?  The NC amounts aren't changed either, and I guess if this is correct, I don't understand what the purpose of the IT-203-B form for New York is.  It's showing an updated line 1p for the allocation percentage which show flow to IT-203 line 1.  However, line 1 on 203 is not updating, nor is the Par-Year Resident Allocation Worksheet.

Multi-State Allocation

NC part-year tax forms work similarly...and you can't know whether you've done it right without looking at the NC D-400 and D400-Schedule PN

...they use total NC taxable income first:  line 12b of the D-400

...then calculate  a decimal amount that refers to NC only BASED on yoru income allocations during the NC interview (line 13 of the D-400)

.... line 13 x line 12b give you line 14...the final NC taxable income for which the tax is calculate.

Print out copies of both state forms and look at them first, then re-do each of the state interview steps if they still seem way off.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies