turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage Refinance and Origination Fee

I refinanced my mortgage in July 2020; I did not have any points on the loan.  But on the Closing Disclosure there was listed a in the "Loan Costs" section a line was entered as "Origination Fee".  So I am confused, I thought only points paid were deductible; but every thing keeps saying points(origination fees).  So is the amount labeled on my Closing Disclosure as "Origination Fee"  deductible or not?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Amounts on lines 801 and 802 on your Hud-1 statement are deductions that are por rated over the life of the loan. Both amounts are called points. 

points paid to refinance a mortgage must be amortized over the life of the new loan unless the proceeds are used to substantially improve the main residence.

also if you refi with the old lender any remaining unamortized points on the old mortgage must be amortized over the life of the new mortgage 

Thank you very much for your replies, it is much appreciated that you took the time to reply!  But I have another question:

Can I deduct /amortize that  amount even though the lender did not list the origination fee amount that was on the closing statement  on the 1098, box 6 that they sent to me?  Their 1098 shows 0 in box 6, which indicates it is for "Points paid on purchase of principal residence".

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies