Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Minor's Business under my social security number

My son started a business in 2019 and set up to receive his payments via Paypal.  Since he was under 18 he set up the Paypal using my SSN.  I will be receiving a tax document from Paypal for the income they are reporting to the IRS referencing my SSN.  What forms do I need to file with the IRS in order to transfer this income to my son and have him declare it on his taxes, not mine?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KittyM2
Expert Alumni

To transfer the income from you to your son, you will need to issue him a 1099-MISC for the amount shown on your 1099-K.  Be aware you will still need to file a TurboTax Self-Employed return to report the 1099-K income you have received and to show the nominee income (1099-MISC) for your son.  He will also need to file a Self-Employed return to report his income and expenses from this transaction.  If you are used to using TurboTax Online, you may wish to consider if there would be a cost savings to you by using the TurboTax Desktop/Download product to file both your returns.

The due date for the 1099-MISC is January 31. DO NOT miss this filing, as the penalties are significant for forms that are late or not filed at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KittyM2
Expert Alumni

To transfer the income from you to your son, you will need to issue him a 1099-MISC for the amount shown on your 1099-K.  Be aware you will still need to file a TurboTax Self-Employed return to report the 1099-K income you have received and to show the nominee income (1099-MISC) for your son.  He will also need to file a Self-Employed return to report his income and expenses from this transaction.  If you are used to using TurboTax Online, you may wish to consider if there would be a cost savings to you by using the TurboTax Desktop/Download product to file both your returns.

The due date for the 1099-MISC is January 31. DO NOT miss this filing, as the penalties are significant for forms that are late or not filed at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies